Senate Bill 148 of the 75th Texas Legislature (1997) mandated field of study curricula. The field of study curriculum, along with core curriculum, is intended to facilitate course transfers among Texas public colleges and universities.
All public four-year institutions must accept state-approved field of study courses to fulfill lower-division requirements for bachelor’s degrees in majors that correspond to that field of study. If a student takes all the courses in a field of study and then transfers to another Texas public institution of higher education, the field of study is guaranteed to transfer as a block and be applied to the appropriate major. Fields of study are valid only when no substitutions are made. If a student completes only part of the field of study, then credit for those courses that are successfully completed must apply toward the major.
Austin Community College (ACC) currently offers the following 16 field of study curricula:
- Architecture Field of Study
- Biology Field of Study
- Business Administration & Management Field of Study
- Criminal Justice Field of Study
- Engineering: Chemical Engineering Field of Study
- Engineering: Civil Engineering Field of Study
- Engineering: Electrical Engineering Field of Study
- Engineering: Mechanical Engineering Field of Study
- English Language & Literature Field of Study
- Mexican American Studies Field of Study
- Music Field of Study
- Nursing Field of Study
- Political Science Field of Study
- Psychology Field of Study
- Social Work Field of Study
- Sociology Field of Study
Students should always consult with an academic or faculty advisor before pursuing any field of study. In addition, students should consult with an advisor at the Texas college or university to which they are transferring for additional information.