Career Planning & Exploration
Career resources are available to assist students and alumni with the process of career development and exploration. The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) and Austin Community College (ACC) Career Services have developed Career Readiness Guides that can be accessed at Career Resources. These guides are designed to help students develop a career path and consider their future employment possibilities as they move through post-secondary education. Topics include the types of careers that exist and the skills needed for them, the steps that students should take to find a satisfying career, and how students can leverage curricular and co-curricular activities into marketable skills.
In addition to the Career Readiness Guides, ACC offers online tools and services to assist in exploring career pathways.
- Career Services staff members are available to review resumes and help students make decisions on which ACC program will help meet their career goals.
- Self-assessment tools guide students through a reliable, intuitive career and education decision-making model to help select a major, explore occupations, and make informed career decisions.
- Students research career interests and learn about each career’s typical tasks and requirements to gauge what would be a good fit. Data analysis of traditional and real-time labor market information (LMI) is provided, so students can evaluate careers based on how well they pay and whether or not that field is expected to grow. Students register and complete online profiles, view employment and internship listings, request mentors, upload resumes, and submit applications.
- An event calendar lists job fairs, employers recruiting on campus, career exploration opportunities, and workshops.
- Digital Skills for Today’s Jobs is a new program now offered under Career Services to students, alumni, and community members. The program provides free, in-depth classes in job-search training, including resume/cover letter writing, digital applications, LinkedIn, Indeed, and Jobscan training, networking, salary negotiation, etc.
Visit Career Services website for more information.