Emergency Procedures and Campus Safety Plans are posted in classrooms, offices, conference rooms, and other areas. Review these plans to learn evacuation routes, outside rally locations, and indoor shelter-in-place areas. More detailed procedures are available at austincc.edu/offices/emergency-management.
Campuses are equipped with alarms, electronic message boards, loud speakers, and emergency phones. In addition, trained campus emergency teams assist students and employees during an emergency. If you have a disability, contact the Student Accessibility Services office to customize specific emergency procedures for your campus.
ACC Emergency Alert
ACC Emergency Alert is the system that sends safety and security-related notifications via email and text message. ACC Emergency Alerts advise you of threats on campus, certain crimes that were reported, impending weather, and campus closures.
Verify, add, or delete contact information by logging into the RAVE Mobile Safety website using your ACCeID and password. Instructions are provided at austincc.edu/offices/emergency-management/acc-emergency-alert.
Severe Weather/Outdoor Hazards
- Move immediately to shelter-in-place areas indicated on the Campus Safety Plans posted in each classroom.
- Shelter-in-place areas are located in the center of the building, and away from outside walls and glass. If time permits, move to lower floors.
- Do not use elevators. Do not exit the building.
- Await the “all clear” message from the administrator-in- charge, emergency coordinator, or ACC Emergency Alert.
- Leave the building through the nearest safe exit or use an area of rescue assistance.
- Take personal belongings only if they are in the same room.
- Close all doors behind you. Do not lock them.
- Do not run. Do not use elevators.
- Report to the evacuation rally point. You must be accounted for at rally point.
- Await the “all clear” message from the administrator-in- charge, emergency coordinator, or outdoor public-address (PA) system.
Armed Intruder/Gunman on Campus
- Call 911 or 222 from any campus phone or 512-223-7999 from any outside line.
- If you can safely escape, RUN. Get away from the danger zone as quickly as possible.
- If you cannot safely escape, HIDE. Turn off lights, close and lock doors. Seek available cover.
- If you are confronted, FIGHT. Use any means necessary to disarm or disable the attacker.
- Await the “all clear” message from ACC Emergency Alert.